• Facebook
  • Bloglovin
  • Twitter

resolutions & reflecting.

January 6, 2015



This past year has gone by the fastest of any other year for me. It quite literally flew by.. Reflecting on this past year on whether or not I followed through with my resolutions, I can say I ultimately did follow through. My last year's resolutions were:

1. Be the Best Mom I Can Be
2. Be More Independent
3. Be More Outgoing
4. Be Fit
5. Stop Comparing Myself to Others

(1) Being a mom is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I try very hard to be a strong, stable, loving mother for Abigail. (2) This has worked for and against me this year. I have become very independent. Sometimes to the point where I've shut people out because I felt the need to prove to myself that "I don't need anyone else". Though it's worked positively for me in times where I've felt lonely, or sad. It's helped me remember that I'm a strong, independent woman. *insert fist pump* That - I - can do hard things. I've also moved out, on my own, and had to clean, do my own dishes, and cook! Yay for being a grown adult. (3) You betcha. Having the new hobby of country swing dancing many times a week, I've definitely had to force myself to be more outgoing. I've made many new friends, in my social life and at my job. I think that with making yourself get out of your comfort zone and meeting new people, it comes with an increase in confidence. (4) I'm not as fit as I'd like to be. But I did get exercise from dancing. (3 hours a night, 4 nights a week - whoa) I still struggle going up a large flight of stairs though. Haha. (5) I think parts of this resolution play hand-in-hand with being more outgoing. With the growth in self-confidence, I've reduced the need to compare myself negatively to others. Which has been for the most part subconscious. It's still something I'll have to continually work on, but I feel a lot happier when I don't. And I've really noticed that.

Now here are my 2015 resolutions:

1.  B E  T H E  B E S T  M O M  I  C A N  B E
Watching Abigail grow has been the light of this entire past year. Her personality is blooming and she has me constantly smiling and laughing. I hope she'll always know how loved she is. As said last, this is a resolution I'll be adding on, year after year.

2.  B E C O M E  F I N A N C I A L L Y  L I T E R A T E
This one has always been on my bucket list. Why not cross it off this year? I have school loans and hospital bills that I'd like to find the best way to manage and pay off. And now that I have a more stable, career-like job, I want to learn how to manage my money better.

3.  L E A R N  H O W  T O  G O U R M E T  C O O K
This is another one that has always been on my bucket list. I'm thinking of actually taking a class. There are a few recipes that I know how to cook really well, but I don't branch out much further than that. I want to be able to cook healthy meals for myself and Abigail. It'll also save some money instead of always eating out!

4.  B E  A C T I V E
Yes, adding fitness again. I want to be specific this year though. I'm going to get a year pass to my rec. center. Then I'm going to join a class of some sort, and also do more running on an indoor track. I want to either join a spin cycle class or a yoga class. I haven't decided yet! I'll be choosing that in the next week or so. I'm pretty excited.

5.  L O V E  M O R E  &  B E  K I N D
I can't say that I was sad to see this last year go. I'm excited and anxious to be starting a new year. I know it's only a measurement of time, but I'm going to make this year better than the last. I'm going to be more kind and loving. To my family, my friends, and even strangers. I'm going to smile more. I'm going to laugh often. I want to try to be a daily light in the people's lives around me. (Sorry for the insane cheese)

6.  B E  B O L D  &  B R A V E
Last but not least.. There's not much more I need to say for this one. #ambiguity


Happy 2015! Did you guys come up with any resolutions? Thanks for reading. I love you all.


post signature

5 comments:

  1. Amen to all of these-- I am glad you wrote these in an achievable way. PS you are already a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Shameless plug alert!* My husband was a finance major and started a blog...website as he prefers it to be called, on person finance. He doesn't update it much anymore, but it has some great financial advise. Here's the link if you're interested: http://www.moneyeducation101.org

    Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Books Recommendations for your resolutions:
    Women and Money - Suze Orman (Very educational and eye opening. It will give you financial confidence and help you to stand taller in a male dominant world.)
    The Way to Cook by Julia Childs, and The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters. Both of these will instill confidence and skills in cooking. I went from learning to expert after The Way to Cook.
    And a quick note about motherhood: In the end, children need to be loved. Everything else is culture. So give yourself some grace and remember that even if you do everything else wrong, the thing that matters deep down, is knowing they're loved. And the best way to love them, is by being alive and happy yourself. Do what you need to do to feel personally fulfilled, and love will come out of you naturally.
    You're awesome, and wonderful, and great. Don't believe anything else.
    http://absolutelytara.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read many resolution posts this week but had not felt inspired to write down my own until I read yours - love these! Happy New Years! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!